Friday, August 3, 2012

Bipolar and Disability

I happen to be on disability now, after suffering for around six years. In that time, I lost 5 jobs; as I have a PhD some of them payed very very well. I never was a discipline problem, just always given the reason that  "I wasn't the right fit". This even happened to me 3 weeks into one of the jobs. This has caused somewhat of an internal struggle for me; for a man a large part of who he is is based on his job; his ability to provide for his family. Without this, I can very easily give in to depression. The way I get around this is to think I am taking time, for now, to just focus on nothing but myself; something I have never done before. I obviously needed to because I got approved the first time I applied without an attorney.
I think disability for bipolar disorder can be a very bad trap; it can leave us feeling worthless, and I think it helps to view it as a bridge to get to where God wants us to be. So I have faith; faith that everything happens for a reason, faith that maybe God never wanted me to be a chemist. Who knows, maybe I am just meant to write this blog. My intention is to go back to school and do nursing to help people in distress as I have been before; I certainly will have an innate empathy for mentally ill people. Hope you all have a good weekend!!

BB

No comments:

Post a Comment