Thursday, August 9, 2012

Mania

A good 'clinical' definition of mania can be found here. Basically mania is the most serious part of my bipolar disorder. If I am manic, I will become psychotic quickly, usually withing a week. I have heard some people with bipolar disorder will actually enjoy mania; I don't, I hate it. While manic I will hallucinate, usually voices that leave me delusional and aggressive. My sex drive will also become elevated, and I become extremely irritable. I become all consumed with my delusions and hallucinations, like I have been given a mission. The only way I can get better from mania is a trip to the hospital for a week or so, where I am given anti psychotic meds, which make me sleep and stop the hallucinations and allow me to think clearly. People who are manic may also commit adultry, and blow money; pretty much any risky behavior.
Complete recovery for me from mania can take several months, time I have to continue to take anti psychotic medication, and a mood stabilizer, and usually an anti-anxiety drug. If you have a loved one who is manic, remember to be patient with them; if they are psychotic, don't try to tell them that their delusions and hallucinations are wrong; to them it is as real as you speaking to them, and it will likely make the person aggressive and paranoid. Only a doctor can help at this point. What symptoms do you or a loved one get when manic?.
BB

Great explanation of mania:

Although "severely elevated mood" sounds somewhat desirable and enjoyable, the experience of mania is ultimately often quite unpleasant and sometimes disturbing, if not frightening, for the person involved and for those close to them, and it may lead to impulsive behavior that may later be regretted. It can also often be complicated by the sufferer's lack of judgment and insight regarding periods of exacerbation of characteristic states. Manic patients are frequently grandiose, obsessive, impulsive, irritable, belligerent, and frequently deny anything is wrong with them. Because mania frequently encourages high energy and decreased perception of need or ability to sleep, within a few days of a manic cycle, sleep-deprived psychosis may appear, further complicating the ability to think clearly. Racing thoughts and misperceptions lead to frustration and decreased ability to communicate with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment