Friday, August 3, 2012

Worst phrase ever: Just snap of of it!!!

I know I am not alone when I hear the phrase: "Just snap out of it!!" Nothing can piss me off quicker than that phrase. Would you tell someone with diabetes, or lupus, or a cancer to step out of it? Not likely. but people don't understand that I have a disease just as serious as those diseases( maybe a shade under cancer, or cancer in very early stages). I have three choices for my fate; either 1. I commit suicide. 2. I end up in prison, or 3. I take the treatment and be as normal as possible. I didn't ask for this, and I wish I could just magically do away with it. I don't enjoy delusions and hallucinations, the are scary as hell. I hope you have someone you love read this and maybe do a little research into what bipolar disorder is. Maybe they will discover a 2000% greater risk for suicide among those of us who suffer. Maybe the will find a very high rate of type II diabetes caused by those drugs to treat us. Maybe they will learn to be more supportive and have some understanding for you. I hope so; I wish we could have a world where the phrase "Just snap out of it!" is never again used.
I think I will be writing a post soon on Bipolar disorder and disability; to let you know my experience, and maybe educate some people out there.

BB

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing more frustrating! I can't tell you how many people were naysayers when I started my meds (after FINALLY being diagnosed properly) ...the stigma that bipolar carries tends to make others think it's "all in our heads" - guess what it is, but not the way everyone assumes. To be told I shouldn't be on meds made me feel like the person(s) saying that must not care enough if they can't support me as I try to have a stable life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have even heard this from my wife, and my mother before she died. On the one hand, I understand why they say it, on the other, it only feeds my tendency to think I am fine and stop my meds. This has never ended well. In time, and once they see a psychosis or two, they will stop doing this to you, then they will switch to " Have you taken your meds?" role if you are in a bad mood.

    ReplyDelete