Monday, August 6, 2012

How My Son Has Found the Testosterone I Lost

It has come to my attention that my oldest son is entering puberty. I realized this when I walked by him a few days ago and caught a huge whiff of pit stink. This boy, who I used to be able to hold in one hand when he was newborn, is starting down the journey to wards becoming a man. I am already proud of the young man he has become. Kind, gentle, and always one to make an outsider feel welcome.I fear the teasing and not stop meanness he is going to endure in middle school; for me that was the hardest part of my young life. He is so kind hearted and good natured, I am scared bullies will seek him out, and to be honest I worry about him taking up for himself. I also know I have got to take care of myself so I can lead him down the road to manhood. I hope that my example of effort and perseverance will serve as a guiding light for him. I fear he will be stricken by the same demons that have stricken me; all I can do is pray he is not. I also know I have to let him stumble face first into some mistakes; the teenage years is not a time for iron-fisted parenting; I think it is a time for guidance, to give him the last few pointers I can and hope he does not make the same mistakes I did. And God help me, I don't feel any older than I did when I got married 18 years ago, yet in about ten years or so I will most likely be a Grandpa? How the hell did that happen?
I also at an age where I remember being my father's son, and at the same time being my son's Father. There are a couple of things I would like my son to know: 1. All your friends, regardless of what they say, are lying about what they do with their girlfriends. They are all just as big a virgin as you are. 2. When a girl breaks your heart, there is another one around the corner for you. 3. In these hard years to come, don't forget what makes me so proud of you; your kind heart and gentle spirit. If you treat people that way your whole life, the worst you will end up doing is going to heaven in the end. Don't let ignorant teenagers change who you are. If you can do that, then that will mean I did my job, and you will be honoring your mother and father. I love you son, and I will still love you through the turbulence of the next few years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment